Friday, February 24, 2017

Kotas Reviews Dunkin' Donuts Chocolate Mocha Pop Tarts

When I was a kid, I can honestly say I never thought that cross branding would be a thing. If you had told me when I was 8 that there would some day exist Swedish Fish Oreos or Peeps Strawberry Milk, I'd have laughed at you and told you that you were crazy, and yet...this is the world we live in. Also, I suppose Pop Tarts are a good vehicle for that sort of treatment. Let's take a long hard look at Dunkin' Donuts Chocolate Mocha Pop Tarts.

Limited Edition, which is always a symbol of quality.
Well, there it is. It's no Baconated Grapefruit, but hey, what is in this wild workaday world? So, let's talk packaging. It's fine. The Dunkin' Donuts logo is front and center, along with a small yet tasteful picture of a drink served in no Dunkin' Donuts ever. Oh, and I guess the Tart itself is prominent. There has been a trend with these specialty Pop Tarts to put a decorative swirl on the frosting, and I have to admit the pictured one looks pretty good. Then again, fool me once shame on you, fool me twice... Let's open this puppy up.

Double Helix? What does it Mean?! Mediocrity, probably.
Well, this looks mostly like the package, which is usually a good sign. The smell is mostly chocolatey, with a hint of something coffee-ish to go along with it. The filling looks like their standard chocolate filling like that used in the S'more flavored Pop Tarts. Let's eat!

The flavor is very chocolate in nature, with some vanilla or cream flavoring from the frosting. It is very sweet, but not overpoweringly sweet, which is a nice change of pace. The "mocha" side of this, by which I mean coffee, is mostly non-existent in the taste. There is almost a hint of it in a bite or two, but it doesn't linger and isn't really noteworthy. If I didn't know these were supposed to be Chocolate Mocha, I probably would have just called them Chocolate Cream Pop Tarts or something along those lines.

On the FACE Rating System, these get 0 Faces. They taste fine, but they aren't worth seeking out, and they basically fail to live up to half of their flavor name. Try them, if you are in the mood for a sweet, but not too sweet, Pop Tart experience, but don't expect to get Mocha'ed in the face or anything. It's just not there.

No comments:

Post a Comment