Thursday, February 9, 2017

Kotas Reviews the Salted Caramel Moon Pie

Well, we've got quite an event coming up at the end of this week, what with a full moon, lunar eclipse, AND a comet all happening at once. So, I says to myself "Self, how best to celebrate this?" The answer of course was with a Moon Pie. Though, I didn't exactly wait for tomorrow now did I? Let's take a look at the Salted Caramel Moon Pie.

What, no RC Cola? BLASPHEMY!
I've enjoyed Moon Pies for many many years. My personal preference is the Single Decker Chocolate one, though honestly they might as well just call this one "Default". Moon Pies come in 3 sizes: Single Decker, Double Decker, and Mini. They also come in a variety of flavors, though not all flavors are available in all sizes. The Moon Pie has been around since 1917 when it was developed at the Chattanooga Bakery in (naturally) Chattanooga, Tennessee. Often associated with RC Cola or "working folk" Southern cuisine, the snack tends to be looked down upon as a bit tacky. Fuck that, I love the damn things, and they haven't added much to their standard fare since...uh...a while. So when a friend of mine [REDACTED] handed me this, I was ecstatic! Let's open it up!

Well, it's....brown.
I can't say I was thrilled with this pie. I mean, "tan circle" doesn't inspire any thoughts of deliciousness, at least not from a manufactured treat. That said, it certainly has a sort of caramel-ish smell about it, and it looks exactly as I would picture a Caramel flavored Moon Pie to look. Let's eat!

Yup, definitely a Moon Pie. There is some bit of caramel here, but nothing that really stands out too much past the general "Moon Pie" flavor and certainly nothing that would say this was Salted Caramel as opposed to the regular Unsalted Caramel that respectable citizens would scorn. It's pretty good, but only in the way that Moon Pies in general are pretty good. To really get a stand out flavor you have to go way stronger than this (see: Banana Moon Pies, which basically melt down Laffy Taffy to get the Banana part across). It's nice, but nothing special.

On the FACE Rating System, this gets 0 Faces. I like Moon Pies, and therefore since this tastes pretty much like a Moon Pie, I like this, but I have no reason to go out of my way to acquire this flavor. The upside is there does not appear to be a price premium placed on this, so go nuts and get one the next time you have a hankerin' for a Moon Pie. You won't regret it. You won't adore it either. Such is the way of things, I suppose. 

No comments:

Post a Comment