Thursday, October 23, 2014

Kotas Reviews Root Beer Float Oreos

Sometimes we at Kotas Reviews Everything get requests to review things. These requests are generally accepted, provided that the thing in question is relatively easy for me to obtain. Today's subject required a friend to hold them for me for a week or two before I could pick them up. Once again, Nabisco's finest Foodgineers will ply their trade across the old taste buds with their not so latest creation: The Root Beer Float Oreo.


Dun, dun, DUUUUUUUUN!
I must admit, the packaging is impressive looking, what with that big old frosty mug of Root Beer there. This is a Limited Edition, which is corporate speak for "We're trying it out to see if people will eat it." These cookies traveled long and perilous roads to find their way to me. Will it be worth it? Let's find out!

Cookies in repose.
The scent upon opening the package is strongly reminiscent of the odor of those little gummi root beer things you can purchase at bulk candy stores. In this instance, they went for the "golden" Oreo wrapper, which I think was the right choice since Chocolate and Root Beer tend to NOT go together very well. These pass the twist off test with flying colors, as you can see above. Alas, I had no milk available so there will be no dunk test here. I can't imagine it is particularly good though.

The taste is quite the curiosity It has a hint of artificial root beer flavoring, followed up by something vaguely resembling vanilla cream. The real treat here is the mild effervescence the cookies have when you are eating them. That's right, they bubble and fizz when you chomp them, kind of like Pop Rocks, but not as intense. It is an odd sensation really. My first bite was really full of "Huh" than either positive or negative feelings, but I found myself continuing to eat them. Was it the fizzy feeling? The flavor itself? The possible presence of an incredibly addictive narcotic? I cannot say, but I ate more of these cookies in one go than I though I ever would. But for the love of all that you hold dear, do NOT eat the cream by itself. I don't know what it is about that cookie, but the raw cream is absolutely terrible, with all the worst bitterness that artificial flavorings can hold coupled with a strange plastic aftertaste. With the cookie though? Tasty, if weird.

On the FACE Rating System, these cookies get 2 smiley faces. I don't know that I would seek them out, but when they are around I find it hard to stop eating them for reasons mysterious to my personage. But never eat the cream alone. That way madness lies.

No comments:

Post a Comment