Friday, July 31, 2015

Kotas Reviews Banana Twinkies

You know, Media Tie In foods are often kind of a crap shoot. They could be amazingly well crafted deliciousness, or they could be made of stale packing peanuts and rancid globs of high viscosity corn syrup. Sometimes, they are both! Today we will be examining one of the cuter entries into this category. Ladies, gentlemen, children of most ages, welcome to the world of Minion Themed Banana Twinkies!

I did not get to go to Paris.

I've written about Twinkies before, being one of those staples of childhood that never quite seem to go away as a cultural icon, so I won't repeat that here. What I will tell you is that this is actually a return to roots for Twinkies. You see, when it was invented, the filling was banana cream. During World War II, bananas were rationed so they made the switch to vanilla cream and it became the default. There have been other promotions that used this flavor (such as when the Peter Jackson King Kong movie came out), but this is the first time I've been able to actually taste it. Plus, you know, Minions. Adorable little things, aren't they?

Love the side eye from Stuart there, as if to say "I hate you all".
The packaging of each individual Twinkie is actually fairly clever. Those minions on the front? They are transparent, so the yellow you see is actually the color of the Twinkie inside. I didn't even notice until I was halfway through devouring poor Kevin, and I thought it was a nice bit of cleverness. These things pretty much smell like Twinkies, so there's no real surprise there. The cream is still white, with maaaaaybe a tinge of yellow, but other than a bit of artificial ba-na-na odor, these aren't particularly out of line for a standard Twinkie.

The flavor is...exactly what you'd expect. Creamy artificial banana flavored filling coupled with the tried and true sponge cake that we all know is actually made in an Erlenmeyer flask, this is totally a banana flavored Twinkie. It's a good combo, and I can see why they started with a banana flavor way back in the day. Very tasty, if you like artificial banana.

Only in America!

On the FACE Rating System, this gets 2 Smiling Minion Faces. I like Twinkies, and this is a pretty good addition to the family. I would totally eat these again. For those of you who cannot stand banana flavored sweets, I would advise staying away, but I think this one is pretty solid. Give 'em a whirl!

No comments:

Post a Comment