Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Kotas Reviews Chedder Cheese Larvets

Well, I guess today marks a new milestone for this blog: I actually try something I've never ever had, nor had anything remotely like it. That's cool eh? So, in a lot of those lovely post apocalyptic stories that have been so popular as of late, instead of normal protein sources like cows, beans, chicken, and so on, people have resorted to such delicacies as rodent, human, and the lowly insect to satisfy their needs. In fact, in many parts of the world, insects of various types are considered a delicacy. So I guess I'm stepping into that world as today we try: Chedder Cheese flavored Larvets!

Nobody loves me, everybody hates me. Think I'll go...oh Hey!
So it's come to this. Actually, a friend of mine brought these to me because [REDACTED] thought it would make for an entertaining review (Thanks [REDACTED]!). My initial response? "I'm sure it's fine." I mean, come on. It's just a few mealworms and I've probably eaten some unknown number of those simply from consuming processed food. Whatever. I will say the packaging is exactly what I would expect, though why cheddar cheese was paired with this I'll never understand. Let's open it up!

Maybe they are just sleeping...
Well, they smell like...I don't even know. Earthy is how I would describe it, and there is exactly zero hint that cheddar cheese was involved in any way with these things. Otherwise, they look like dead mealworms, legs and all. They are a bit greasy to the touch, but I assume that is because they were fried or something. Maybe they are just naturally oily? I don't eat many insects to be sure, so I have no idea. For the record, that is the entire contents of the box. The box itself cost $2.50 and contained a total of 10 calories. These are clearly only for the novelty factor rather than being an actual snack. Snapping one of these folks open reveals a mostly hollow shell anyway. Why am I eating these again?

Suuuuuper dead. Could be useful for your Klingon Cosplay Dinner Party I guess.
While examining these critters, my 3 year old wandered in and asked what I was doing. She then stated "I wanna eat worms!" and began shoving them in her mouth. There's no accounting for taste, but if she can do it, surely I can! Down the hatch! 

Honestly, the flavor here is "vague". They taste exactly nothing like cheddar cheese in any way, shape, or form. They have a vague nuttiness to them, but otherwise? It's like chewing on a popcorn hull. There's very little flavor of ANY kind, good or bad or indifferent, and what is there is more an expression of their texture than anything else. Imagine eating a stale Cheeto with no flavor dust and you sorta get in the ballpark. Once the novelty wore off, both I and my daughter just lost interest in eating them. They leave a nasty aftertaste though once you stop chomping though, like stale popcorn mixed with paper. Yuck!

On the FACE Rating System, these little guys get 2 frowny faces. I didn't bother finishing the few that I had because they just taste like nothing, the texture isn't great, and the aftertaste is nasty. Maybe it was this particular flavor, but these suck-diddly-uck. They weren't spit out horrible, but they bring nothing to the table except the fact that you can go "Hey! I ate bugs!" Maybe they might be fun as edible decoration on some sort of Halloween or gross out themed party, but otherwise? Skip it.

No comments:

Post a Comment