Friday, December 28, 2018

Kotas Reviews Mamma Mia Rhubarb Pie Beer

Well my loyal readers, the year is winding down and that means contemplation and reflection on oneself and one's actions. So of course that implies heavy drinking 'round these parts. Let's finalize some bad habits together! Ladies and Gentlemen, today we imbibe Mamma Mia Rhubarb Pie Beer.

That's a spicy...uh...bottle of beer?
Let's just get right to it. What the hell is up with this label? I mean, I sort of get the association of "elderly lady" with rhubarb pie and whatnot, but why is she angry enough to wag a finger at me? Do you not want me to drink your beer lady? Isn't that how you make money? I mean, what the hell? Other than the bizarre choice of mascot though, this label is boooooring with a capital Bore. At least it helpfully informs us it is "Ale brewed with Natural Flavors". Wait, isn't this supposed to be beer? Well, ale IS beer I suppose. Anyway, let's see how it looks in the glass.

She's just so disapproving!
Yeah, that's beer alright. It's got a nice clear brown color, with a strong odor of fruitiness with a touch of something sweet. I guess that is what rhubarb smells like, though I've not had it in ages. How does it taste? Well, it's not bad, but it's not fantastic either. It's got a nice "beer-y" flavor, with some interesting raspberry notes, but the finish is exceedingly sour, almost to the point of unpleasantness. It's definitely a fruit type sour, rather than "bad beer sour", so that's something. It's interesting that is for sure.

On the FACE Rating System, I give it 0 Faces. I don't hate it, and it is interesting, but I don't know that I like it either. It makes me sit back and say "Well, I certainly drank it" but I am not overwhelmed with feeling about it. In fact, I'm not even whelmed. Give it a try if it's on sale or something, but I certainly wouldn't seek it out. Like, ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment