Thursday, June 23, 2016

Kotas Reviews Alouette Wasabi Cheddar

Occasionally my long suffering wife decides to bring me home a "surprise" from the grocery store, because she a) wants to try it and b) wants me to try it if it is bad. Plus, I can usually get a review out of it. Less often is the surprise actually something surprising, because I can kind of predict when something wacky is up my alley. Other times, I am just baffled. Today is that kind of day. Let's take a look at...this.

WE'RE MAKIN'' GRAVY WITHOUT THE LUMPS!
Seriously, when did "unique flavorings" boil down to "cram things together that shouldn't be crammed"? I have NEVER in my life thought that cheddar cheese fans, let alone spreadable cheddar cheese fans, would pair their cheese of choice with WASABI of all things. Still, spicy and cheese pair well together, though maybe not cheddar? I don't know. Still, it's cheese, and not only that, it's spreadable cheese! Which is but a step or two away from "food product" being added at the end. Let's take a peek.

With pretzel thin for scale
Well, it's certainly green. Usually when I open cheese, green is a bad color, but I suppose if we're going with the wasabi theme, the light green is fine. The scent it gives off is vaguely wasabi-esque, without much cheese odor, and literally nothing that says to my nose "cheddar". Oh well, at least it's green I guess? I will note, I did taste this with pretzel thins, so you may get a slightly different flavor profile for your own tastings.

It is way less spicy than I expected it to be. The fake wasabi at sushi bars is way, WAY spicier than this stuff, though it does have a slight tingle after multiple bites. It's a decent flavor, but the cheddar part is very mild. This could be any old spreadable cheese and I wouldn't know better. It has little kick, but you DO taste the wasabi bits even without much burn. Not bad, but not good. 

On the FACE Rating System, this gets 0 faces. It's fine, but I would probably pass over this on subsequent grocery trips. I absolutely wouldn't call it "Bold", other than maybe the fact that it exists at all. Try it if you like, or don't. It's very "meh".

No comments:

Post a Comment