Friday, April 15, 2016

Kotas Reviews Lay's Southern Biscuits and Gravy Potato Chips

One of my regrets from 2015 (one of the smaller ones anyway) was never quite getting to try all the flavors of Lay's "Do Us A Flavor" promotion. I hit three of four, but the Biscuits and Gravy flavor eluded my grasp. Even the best efforts of my sister in-law and her husband, who provided me with a small package of them in my "Get Well" basket of goodies could not get them to me, as they were lost in a tragic "I dropped them on the floor and they got stomped on" accident. Lucky for me, one flavor emerged victorious from the Lay's Thunderdome. It's long since past time for this to have happened. Today we look at, Lay's Southern Biscuits and Gravy potato chips.

Howdy, ya'll!
Behold the glory of Southern Biscuits and Gravy! You know, why is it that when something is called out as Southern, it is generally written in a slightly fancy italicized font? Do we really associate Biscuits and Gravy with Southern Style Classiness? Eh, I'll take it. For those of you who don't know, I love biscuits and gravy. I prefer sausage gravy above almost every other kind of white gravy, but the Cracker Barrel "Sawmill" gravy will do just fine, thank you very much. It's very stick to your ribs comfort food goodness, and I say bring it on. Southern Style Biscuits are totally a thing. Get a biscuit in New York and it is...well, it's just not the same. Anyway, let's rip open the bag!

Understated Ya'll!
Well damned if the scent isn't like that of a strong pepper gravy. It has potato elements to, unsurprisingly, but the look of the chip is...slightly underwhelming. Then again, I'm not exactly sure how one WOULD get across the idea of biscuits and gravy via look alone on a potato chip. It does have black flecks that I suppose are pepper, though they could be any myriad of things from various flavor dusts. Let's give 'em a taste!

Wow. I don't know what I was expecting when I tried this, but "pretty much sawmill gravy over potato chips" was not quite it. It's spicier than many white gravies, but damned if that isn't a fine flavor combination. There is a hint of something yeasty or bread-like that I suppose is the "biscuit" part of the equation, but it is not very strong and you'd miss it if you didn't know these were supposed to be "biscuit and gravy" flavored. I guess "White Pepper Gravy" doesn't look as good on the package though. I admit I ate through the bag quicker than I should have, but...hoo boy was it a good ride.

On the FACE Rating System, these get two fat and happy smiley faces. If you like biscuits as a vehicle for gravy and you also like potatoes, here is a fantastic way to combine both loves into a single glorious snackable. They are a bit on the heavier side of snacks though, so I wouldn't want to eat them every day. I would love to TASTE them every day. If you aren't a fan of white gravy though, these will not change your mind. Worthy of trying though!

No comments:

Post a Comment