Thursday, January 7, 2016

Kotas Reviews Peppermint Bark Chex Muddy Buddies

We're still in Yearly Catch Up mode here at Kotas Reviews, and probably will be for some time, given the size of my back log. I'm sure I'll trim out some of it as uninteresting, but until then, onward and..uh...forward? Anyway, we're back with more Muddy Buddies: Peppermint Bark Muddy Buddies!

Forgive me, for I exist.
My biggest complaint? That the green circle on the packaging in no way matches the color of the Snickerdoodle package. I think they missed a real opportunity here in complimentary packaging. I also wonder, why neon green rather than a slightly less eyeblazingly bright green? Maybe the peppermint bark didn't show up as well against it? Eh, I think too much. This is pretty much the same package as the previous Muddy Buddies, but with different pictures and colors. I wasn't impressed then, and I ain't impressed now, but it's not bad, just sort of blah. So, what about the flavor?

Let's take a step back. I have varying feelings about peppermint bark. I do love me some peppermint candy, but I am not nearly as big a fan of white chocolate, and peppermint added to white chocolate does not provide additional flavor thrills. The type of bark that includes dark chocolate however, I enjoy that very much. Given that these are Muddy Buddies, which traditionally have some chocolate components, I expected these to taste more like the better kind of peppermint bark. Unfortunately, the picture on the package disabuses me of that notion. Still, I hold out hope.

Same Chex, Different Dust
Well, color me not surprised. It's Chex with a pile of flavor dust on it, much like the previous installment. Kinda phoning it in with the holiday flavors here, aren't we General Mills? Still, looks aren't the most important part of a snack food. The scent is pepperminty, which is fine given that most peppermint bark smells the same way. The flavor is...also pepperminty, and that's about it. It doesn't compliment the Chex nearly as well as the Snickerdoodle flavor did, but it's still sweet, crunchy and pepperminty. Not sure how the "bark" part comes in, as this could have just been called "Peppermint", but marketing is often baffling to me.

On the FACE Rating System, this gets 0 Faces. I don't hate them. I don't like them. They are "okay". Perhaps a bit of a novelty, but nothing like the peppermint bark I would want to eat. If you are offered some, or find some for cheap, give it a try, but I wouldn't make any sort of effort to get them unless you are some sort of crazed peppermint fan who simply MUST have all things Peppermint AND you just HAVE to have Chex Mix Muddy Buddies. A rare combo indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment