Friday, November 1, 2013

Kotas Reviews Blue Moon Harvest Pumpkin Ale

Welcome to Day 5, the final day of Okotastoberfest! Sadly, all good things must come to an end, and thus we wind down the week with our final entry: Blue Moon Harvest Pumpkin Ale. The Blue Moon Brewing Company is based out of Colorado, and is part of the craft and import division of MillerCoors. Can a huge American domestic brewery put out a beer that competes in the craft beer market? I would think it can, given it's signature Blue Moon Belgian-style White is very popular. Let's see what we can determine about its seasonal offering.


Delicious beer or corporate swill? YOU MAKE THE CALL!
The label is another example of how to take your standard logo and branding and jazz it up for the holidays. I'm actually not a huge fan of Blue Moon. It is not an awful beer, but it is vastly improved with the addition of a slice of orange...and I am of the opinion that any beer that is only good when stuff is added to it is not really a good beer. Still, I won't turn my nose up at it if you hand it to me...and it really is pretty darn good with a slice of orange. Let's see how this "Harvest" ale compares.

The orangiest of the five reviewed this week!

Another beer that has a pretty faint scent. I'm beginning to think it might be the glass I'm using, but hey, what do I know. The scent carries a hint of pumpkin, which really shouldn't surprise me. It has a nice orange color and just a touch of head on the pour. The flavor is actually a nice pumpkin-malt combination that is refreshing on the tongue. The aftertaste is clean, but it lingers more than, say, the Sam Adams offering. It is a bit drying on the tongue, and the fading bitterness is pleasant. 

It is not a heavy beer, but it's also not a particularly light beer. Solid flavor with just enough pumpkin to let you know you are drinking a pumpkin beer. I think this would pair well with a lot of different foods, except the most delicate ones. It is surprisingly drinkable! This could easily be a nice session beer, though I wouldn't want to drink it all day. Color me surprised, this is pretty good.
On the FACE Rating System, I'd give this 2 smileys. I am actually pretty impressed that it is as good as it is, and I think I will add it to my yearly rotation. Of the five beers I've had, I think the Sam Adams Octoberfest is still my favorite, but this is pretty darn close. If you like pumpkin beers, I definitely recommend giving this a place in your glass. 

Well, that concludes Okotastoberfest for this year. I had a great time reviewing these beers. Maybe I'll do it again next year! 

No comments:

Post a Comment