Sunday, June 2, 2013

Kotas Reviews A Philips LED Light Bulb

Today I'm reviewing a product I purchased recently: A Philips brand LED lightbulb. LED lightbulbs are the new hotness in "trying to not have your bulb burn out very often and hopefully save you some cash that way." I have a lamp that accepts a 60 watt bulb that we use as a bedroom table lamp. It recently burned out. I would have slapped one of my "60w Equivalent" CFL bulbs in it except that it has one of those shades where you just cram it on top of the bulb. Those don't work with CFLs.

So the quest was on for an LED bulb that looked a lot like a regular bulb. I saw an ad for Cree brand LED bulbs that looked a LOT like regular bulbs, just taller, for around $13. Then I saw this bulb. It's a lot shorter (the size of a regular bulb in fact), and $11. What the hell, I thought, so I bought it to try out.

This thing actually works. It doesn't give off quite as much light as a regular bulb, because about half of the traditional illumination source is opaque, but the light it gives out is more than enough to illuminate a bedside or a small room from my little lamp. I always hated changing out that bulb anyway. Now, in theory, this bulb will burn out when Sylvia starts college. If it makes it that far, it was $11 well spent. The big advantage of this bulb over other LED bulbs is that it is the same size and shape as a standard bulb, while most other LED bulbs are totally not.

On a scale of 5 frowny faces to 5 smiley faces, I give it 2 smiley faces. It is an experiment, but so far that experiment is working, and at this price, it's cheap enough that I don't feel like I've wasted the money. Hell, I'll start using these bulbs for all my future 60 watt needs if this one works out decent.

No comments:

Post a Comment